Wednesday 24 August 2016

Tips for bloggers block

Brain? totally fried. Blank screen? totally mocking you. Mind isn't just wandering it's just up and left and went on holiday and left you behind.

Ok so, the tips I have for having this kind of block has been tried and tested by myself many times and they do work for me. I've told some friends who write books/lyrics the same tips and most of them say they did find them quite helpful or it led them to finding their own way to unblock, which is just wonderful.

so.. Lets begin:
Swear and scream

Swear like an angry trucker. I mean it, you just get up and start ranting and raving like an absolute maniac, yelling, swearing and waving your arms around, you just go full on crazy!
.... uh in your own home, not like in public ok? good.

I've found just ranting about something, anything ends up leading to a proper outlet about something that had been bothering you or blocking you that you might not have even known about, it's a weird feeling to finally be done with your rant and you then suddenly know exactly what you want/need to say. Weird, but a very freeing feeling. 

Kicking it old style

Get away from technology, I've said this to a few people and the response has been "but I need it to write" oh hell no you don't! thousands of stories have been written without computers, typewriters, phones, ipads (you see where i am going?) One thing that has worked well for me is to switch everything off, sit with a piece of paper and a pen near me and just relax with a cup of tea or maybe a book. A break from everything electrical can actually do wonders for your mind. 

One of my many tea breaks

Stop analysing and planning!

Don't plan your posts, sure writing down ideas of posts you would like to do is helpful but don't sit there analysing every single word you will say. I have a small notebook I take everywhere with me and it's filled with scribbles and doodles and somewhere in that mess there is ideas like a full skin care post or a challenge like "how much is my face worth" but they are barely sentences, just enough to jog my memory so I'm not locked into the exact sentence I've wrote and can let my mind go free.


Start networking.

Read other blogs, don't be that one dick blogger that doesn't get involved or interested in other peoples work but expect everyone to like yours, just don't be that one. Other bloggers styles of writing open up a lot of ideas, it can trigger thoughts that have nothing to do with their particular post at all, it's the same as reading a novel, the more you read the more you will think.

It's social networking you can make loads of friends with blogs and do collaborations with them or even just have someone who understands what it's like to be looking at that blank screen and you can bounce ideas off each other. Circling back to the "don't be a dick" thing... give the credit where it's due, if someone has inspired your post, link them/tag them or what ever is needed.

Out and about.

Try changing the environment, cafe, book store, museum, library, friends house, different room in the house (no one needs to know you blog in the bathtub!) You don't even need to go with the idea of writing, you could just for a walk for some fresh air, find a new place to relax in. Feel free to take your tablet, ipad or notebook with you just in case though!

My place is definitely anywhere near the sea
These are just tips that work for me and I've found that worked for some of my friends. Also for a full hour before this post, I was staring at my screen with a notepad filled with ideas and nothing was coming to mind or nothing was really inspiring me to write. That my friends, is how this fairly long blog post came about, I used my tips for unblocking and in the middle came the idea of... "other people have this problem, let's just write about that"

So there we have it, I'd love to know your tips for getting your mind going and fingers typing. Leave me a comment, never know when a new tip might come in handy!

B x




No comments:

Post a Comment